Get involved in Small Business Saturday
The UK is celebrating its first Small Business Saturday on 7 December 2013. It’s a great way for small businesses to promote themselves and generate trade.
Small businesses of all kinds are taking part. They’re planning special deals for customers, getting involved in showcase events, doing joint marketing with media. And more!
Here are our tips on how to get the best from Small Business Saturday.
1 Sign up to Small Business Saturday UK
Whether you’re a family business, local shop, online business, wholesaler or small manufacturer, Small Business Saturday is supporting YOU!
Visit Small Business Saturday UK and sign up for a package full of goodies which includes posters, badges and stands. If you’ve got any plans for the day then you can update the Small Business Facebook page.
Small Business Saturday has also designed some great messaging to help your business talk about Small Business Saturday on your Facebook page and Twitter stream, using the approved #SmallBizSatUK hashtag. Get the messaging when you sign up for free.
2 Investigate local promotion opportunities
Why not reach out to your local council or trade association and find out if they have a Small Business Saturday event you can get involved in?
Alternatively promote what’s happening locally to your customers via your social media and harness your brand to the Small Business Saturday press frenzy. It’s a great way to start a discussion with customers about the benefits of doing business with a local micro business:
- Shopping locally is more environmentally friendly
- It keeps money in the local economy
- Local providers know their customers’ likes and needs – which means you get a more personalised range of product choices
- Micro businesses are prepared to give you more time and a highly individualised personal service – sharing their hard earned knowledge and expertise.
3 Check out what support is available
Organisations like American Express, the Federation of Small Businesses, the Forum for Private Business, the Association of Convenience Stores, the British Chamber of Commerce and many others representing hundreds of thousands of local businesses are promoting events and activities and talking to the media.
Visit their websites and find out what’s available for you to get involved in. Or why not come up with some ideas to kick off your own local promotions and events?
4 Get involved
As a small business, it pays to get involved in Small Business Saturday:
- Communicate The Day – place a poster in your window, and use social media to tell customers about the day and what it’s all about
- Promote The Day –create a promotion specific to Small Business Saturday, like a 10% discount, free wrapping or delivery and so forth
- Share The Day – tell people about your planning experiences on the Small Business Saturday’s Facebook and Twitter pages – and don’t forget to update your own social media
- Club Together with neighbouring small businesses and run a street bazaar or team up with a local shop for a joint event. Why not contact a local celebrity and get them to visit and buy something on the day – and get your local TV/radio to cover the moment!
5 Bring it all together with a Telnames .tel
When it comes to building an online presence, it clearly pays to bring all your online profiles together in one easy-to-access ‘promotional hub’ where you can show what you do and share what others think of you.
Your .tel name is a mobile friendly website that’s great for promoting your participation in Small Business Saturday.
You can upload your special offer or voucher deal that’s tied into the event, promote your social feeds so everyone knows what you’re planning for the day, and boost local awareness of what you have on offer.
6 Don’t forget to .tel us.
Even better, Telnames are proud supporters of the UK’s first ever Small Business Saturday. So if you’re a business planning on taking part, then give us an update and we’ll help promote your involvement in the run up to the event.
Let us know by tweeting us at @tel_names or on our Facebook page. We look forward to hearing from you.
We are also offering a special discount code to aid small businesses in getting online in time for the event. For just £9.95, you can get a mobile optimised website for your business. To use the voucher code, simply enter - SBS - when you sign up and receive your 30% discount.